Undead Labs is looking for a highly creative and technically minded Senior Sound Designer to make impactful sound effects for State of Decay 3. As a Senior Sound Designer, you’ll design unique audio content that amplifies gameplay, creates unforgettable moments, and helps bring our world to life for our millions of State of Decay fans. Our ideal candidate will lead by example and support other sound designers in our shared goal of creating an amazing product.
At Undead Labs, we work in highly collaborative, cross-discipline teams because we understand that the best ideas are ones we generate together. We are creators of the hit survival-fantasy franchise State of Decay played by millions, and we operate independently as part of a network of studios now owned by Microsoft. We have a rich history of entrepreneurship and empowerment that will carry us forward as we reach new levels of quality, ambition, and polish.
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
- Create tailored SFX that support our narrative goals and help define the creative audio vision for the game.
- Develop and maintain complex audio systems from the ground up through collaboration with an audio programmer and technical sound designer.
- Lead audio implementation efforts using Wwise and Unreal Blueprints.
- Proactively collaborate with other disciplines to ensure that audio implementation pipelines meet multidisciplinary feature needs.
- Evangelize our audio vision in cross-discipline teams in order to explore ideas and garner support for advancing audio systems.
- Mentor our sound design team in their creative and technical endeavors.
- Record and edit custom assets from the audio team recording backlog.
- Perform field recording, as needed, to capture sounds.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience (Core Traits)
- Proficient with modern DAW and audio middleware software programs.
- Solid understanding of audio science and technology including sample rates, bit depth, compression formats, Nyquist Theorem, etc.
- Mastery of audio manipulation techniques including audio file waveform editing, compression, equalization, gating, and noise reduction.
- Familiar with modern acoustics and spatialization technology for games (Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, Wwise Reflect, obstruction/occlusion technologies, etc.)
- Skilled at integrating and implementing audio solutions into game engines.
- Disciplined at creating and maintaining documentation, standards, and best practices.
- Experience creating audio content and implementation pipelines focused on both quality and scalability.
- A self-starter with the ability to make progress in the face of ambiguity by gathering player feedback and performing analysis needed to make and justify decisions.
- An ability to communicate effectively across disciplines.
- Ideally has 5 to 8 years of experience in a sound design role.
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
- Noise levels are moderate to loud in the work environment.
- Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Undead Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
To apply, please send a resume, and a link to your online portfolio to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!